Monday, April 12, 2010

Trip to elephanta

My trip to elephant began with me being late by almost 2 hours and still getting a treat of double bun maska from Anilu.. Lemme introduce u to Anilu.. hez bin my chuddybuddy since my MSW years…hez a hard core social worker wid sum weird ass philosophies which r understood only by him!!! And yet.. yet…. I had loads of fun!! Ha ha
We bought tickets to ferry ride to the caves…ferry ride was super fun!! We talked about college… and our group…how things change suddenly…. How we all wud be married one fine day (sigh) .. We saw…SUPER HUGE ships… real big.. and real beautiful!! And we noticed that people carrying the most bags were gujjuz ;)
On reaching there, we treated ourselves with kairi..which was yummy!! And then took the mini train… now train ride was almost like a local train ride wid people, pushing and jostling just to get a seat on dat stupid train… we missed one train, and den we got on the next one where in I didn’t get a seat again.. so we were making plans for me to sit on Aniluz bag, but an uncleji got up 4 me and I sat comfortable.. There are advantages of being a woman after all!!
We made our way to the caves through some 200-300 stairs wherein vendors sell beautiful jewellery. bags.. marble carvings.. wood carvings..posters.. post cards, guide maps etc… its beautiful to just look at… they r pretty expensive… I mean u get cheaper..same stuff at Colaba..bandra.. we took frequent breaks though.. we were sipping at nimbu paani..water….. and climbing where no1 went!! Haha… anilu was happily checking out firangi women… !! Oh and guys!! I bought a hat.. My bestest, the most beautiful HATS!!!


At last .. we did reach the caves… beautiful and majestic… the carvings were so big and huge.. there were a few shivaling temples surrounded by the huge carvings of Shiva Parvathi.. brahma….. actually a site museum has been established there to familiarize the tourists with the carvings… the interesting part is that the museum is completely in English. There were people who wanted to know wats it all abt, but language became a barrier. However, the museum explains that sculptures, the different forms of Shiva and Parvathi and speaks of the ancient Legends…..
We roamed from one cave to the other, climbed rocks, saw weird ass water tanks.. I wonder why.. for what purpose were these made…I mean, if it was just for love for architecture, its just beautiful… Its very exciting and adventurous for me to visit places 1000 years old… I wonder how they must.. how they must have travelled from land to these caves… who must b dose artists… hats off to them…
I bugged Anilu to click pictures at every juncture!! I guess I super bugd him!! Since it was a Sunday it was crowded, and we also had a hard time clicking the God.. everybody wanted to click him since he was the centre of attraction, but wen we didn’t get the opportunity, we started clicking each other! In the structures, we saw peple.. couples… sitting.. lazing… and the Bag Vala aunties were out wid d dabbas!! Oh, and yes.. there were a few monkeys.. being referred to as “hanuman”.. I mean.. luk at d respect dere!!
The journey back was.. tiring.. sleeping.. both of us were sloshed by the time we sat in the ferry.. and half slept…
I found Elephanta caves to be very exciting.. romantic place.. I would luv to go there again in the rains!! Guyz.. you are welcome to accompany..
(check out more pics on my orkut profile )

No comments: